Rumex is primarily a cough remedy though the key note symptom has aggravation from uncovering or undressing has led to prescription and digestive complains as well.
Synonym: Curly Dock, Yellow Dock, Sour Dock, Narrow Dock
Source: Rumex is common British weed. It belongs to the natural order of polygonacae.
Preparation: Mother tincture is prepared from fresh roots.
Proved by: Dr. H.A. Hougton, student of Hahnemann medical college,Philadelphia, in 1852; Dr.B.F. Joslin in 1852
Habitat: Fields, roadsides, railroads, waste ground, disturbed sites.
- Extremely sensitive to cold air and even to open air.
- Catarrhal headache with great irritation of the larynx and trachea, clavicular pain and soreness behind sternum.
- Influenza with violent catarrh, followed by bronchitis.
- Sensation of a lump in the throat, not relieved by hawking or swallowing, it descends on deglutition, but immediately returns"; this is also a strong feature in Lachesis.
It suits to both acute and chronic catarrhal states.
- Nose obstructed; dry sensation even in posterior nares.
- Often coryza starts owith a marked dryness in the posterior nares.
- Violent sneezing, with fluent coryza is a frequent occurrence.
- Copious mucous discharge from nose and trachea.
- Epistaxis, violent sneezing and painful irritation of nostrils.
- Aggravation: In the evening, at night and from cold air.
- Amelioration: By warmth and covering.
- Causation: Exposure to cold air.
- Location: lower lobe of left lung is generally affected.
- Rawness of larynx and trachea. Soreness behind sternum, especially left side, in region of left shoulder. Raw pain under clavicle.
- Tickling sensation in throat pit with rawness.
- Sensation of lump in throat descends on swallowing but returns immediately.
- Character of cough:
- Violent dry incessant fatiguing cough.
- Hoarse barking cough with tickling sensation. Hoarse, barking cough, in attacks, every night at 11 P.M. and at 2 and 5 A.M. (children).
- Dry, teasing cough, preventing sleep.
- Touching the throat-pit brings on the cough.
- Cough with pain behind the sternum.
- Involuntary urine with cough, involuntary stool with cough. In women, every fit of coughing produces the passage of a few drops of urine.
- The most violent cough occurs a few moments after lying down and at night, in some cases, complete aphonia.
- Tenacious mucus in throat or larynx, constant desire to hawk.
- Character of sputa:
- Usually there is no expectoration but sometimes in the first stage there is thin watery, frothy expectoration; later it becomes yellowish thick, tough and tenacious; stringy, so ropy
- The patient is extremely sensitive to open air even changing air or room brings s on cough.
- Slightest inhalation of cold air.
- Worse especially in the morning on walking or at 11pm.
- Worse touch or pressure on the throat or larynx
- After lying down especially on left side.
o From warmth, keeping the mouth cover to exclude cold air, covering the body warmly.
The stomach will not digest food, or only the, simplest food; the mucous membrane of the stomach is affected by this remedy like other mucous membranes.
- Fullness in the stomach which rises to throat and triggers coughing.
- Cannot tolerate meat; it causes eructation, pruritus.
- Jaundice after excessive use of alcoholics.
- Chronic gastritis; aching pain in pit of stomach and shooting in the chest; extends towards the throat-pit,
- Worse any motion or talking. Pain in left breast after meals; flatulence.
- Aching pain in the pit of stomach gradually becoming very severe; sharp stitching pains in stomach extending into chest, and below a sensation of pressure like a lump in pit of stomach, sometimes rising up under sternum, greatly aggravated from motion and somewhat from taking a long breath; generally aggravated after eating, ameliorated by lying perfectly quiet.
- The stomach feels sore, aggravated by talking, walking, inhaling cold air; wants warm things. Very flatulent; full of flatulent pains; pains relieved (Carbo veg.) by belching and passing flatus. Stomach and abdominal pains aggravated by talking, irregular, breathing; must sit in a chair and breathe with perfect regularity. Irregular breathing will cause cough or suffocation.
- Diarrhoea early in morning from 5to 10am.
- Driving him out of bed early in the morning.
- Serious attack of diarrhea in an old man of seventy, after failure of Sulphur.
- Before Stool there is sudden urging pain in abdomen.
- In the morning hurried to stool like Sulphur.
- Stools, painless, offensive, profuse; brown or black, thin or watery; preceded by pain in abdomen; before stool sudden urging, driving him out of bed in morning."
- Brown, watery diarrhoea, chiefly in morning, having stools from 5 to 9 A.M.
- Modalities: aggravation from motion and in the morning.
- Intense itching of skin; itching of various parts especially lower extremities. Urticaria; contagious prurigo.
- Modalities:Aggravation from cold, when undressing, uncovering or exposure to cold air. Amelioration: By covering the parts.
Aggravation: In evening, from inhaling cold air; left chest; uncovering.
Amelioration: By covering the parts
Relationship—Antidote by Bell,Camph
Dose.--Third to sixth potency