Synonym: Toadstool, Fly agaric, Bug Agaric
Source: Tincture is prepared from fresh fungus.
Habitat: Parts of Europe, America and Asia.
Proved by: Dr. Stapf, a disciple of Hahnemann and two years later by Hahnemann himself
Agaricus mascarius is very much suited to nervous affection of old people, drunkards who often become delirious and get epileptiform fit. Agaricus finds a respectable place in material medica as an excellent remedy for nervous affection.
- Agaricus acts as an intoxicant to the brain, producing more vertigo and delirium than alcohol, followed by profound sopor with lowered reflexes.
- Neurological remedy with twitching spasm and even convulsions
- Various forms of neuralgia and spasmodic affections, and neurotic skin troubles are pictured in the symptomatology of this remedy.
- It corresponds to various forms of cerebral excitement rather than congestion.
- Jerking, twitching, trembling, and itching are strong indications.
- Painfulness and violent burning, shooting pains in spinal column.
- Spinal column sensitive to touch. Sensation as if ants were creeping along the spine.
- Violent muscular twitching and jumping, as if caused by a galvanic current.
- Burning, Itching and redness of various parts as if frostbitten.
- Sensation in various parts as if ice touched or as if ice-cold needles were piercing the skin.
- Symptoms appear diagonally as right arm and left leg.
- Pains are accompanied by sensation of cold, numbness and tingling.
- Sings talks incoherently changes rapidly from subject to subject but does not answer.
- Aversion to work.
- Delirium characterized by singing, shouting, and muttering; rhymes and prophesies. Begins with paroxysm of yawning.
- Indisposed to perform any kind of work especially mental.
- Makes verses.
- Hilarious, Embraces and kisses hands, Selfish, Indifferent.
- Dull and dizzy as if drunk.
- Morose self willed stubborn; slow in learning to walk and talk.
- Awkward clumsy.
- Knows no one; throws things.
- Pressure on spine causes in voluntary laughter.
- Can not do anything new can not do his routine work or does the opposite.
- Vertigo from sunlight, and on walking.
- Head in constant motion.
- Falling backward, as if a weight in occiput. Lateral headache, as if from a nail (Coff; Ignat).
- Dull headache from prolonged desk-work. Icy coldness, like icy needles, or splinters.
- Neuralgia with icy cold head.
- Desire to cover head warmly (Silica). Headache with nose-bleed or thick mucous discharge.
- Causation of headache: Headache may be caused by defective circulation, alcohol or sexual cases.
- Reading difficult, as type seems to move, to swim.
- Vibrating specters.
- Double vision (Gels), dim and flickering.
- Asthenopia from prolonged strain, spasm of accommodation.
- Twitching of lids and eyeballs (Codein).
- Margins of lids red; itch and burn and agglutinate.
- Inner angles very red.
- Burn and itch, as if frozen.
- Twitching of muscles about the ear and noises.
- Nervous nasal disturbances.
- Itching internally and externally.
- Spasmodic sneezing after coughing; sensitiveness; watery non-inflammatory discharge.
- Inner angles very red. Fetid, dark, bloody discharge.
- Nosebleed in old people. Sensation of soreness in nose and mouth.
- Facial muscles feel stiff; twitch; face itches and burns.
- Lancinating, tearing pain in cheeks, as of splinters.
- Neuralgia, as if cold needles ran through nerves or sharp ice touched them.
- Burning and smarting on lips.
- Herpes on lips. Twitching. Taste sweet.
- Aphthæ on roof of mouth. Splinter like pains in tongue.
- Thirsty all the time. Tremulous tongue (Lach). Tongue white.
- Stitches along eustachian tube to ear.
- Feels contracted. Small solid balls of phlegm thrown up.
- Dryness of pharynx, swallowing difficult.
- Scratching in throat; cannot sing a note.
- Empty eructations, tasting of apples.
- Nervous disturbances, with spasmodic contractions, hiccough.
- Unnatural hunger.
- Flatulent distention of stomach and abdomen.
- Profuse inodorous flatus.
- Burning in stomach about three hours after a meal, changing into a dull pressure. Gastric disturbance with sharp pains in liver region.
- Stitching pains in liver, spleen (Ceanothus) and abdomen.
- Stitches under short ribs, left side. Diarrhœa with much fetid flatus.
- Fetid stools.
- Stitches in urethra.
- Sudden and violent urging to urinate.
- Frequent urination.
- Menses, increased, earlier. Itching and tearing, pressive pains of genitals and back. Spasmodic dysmenorrhœa. Severe bearing-down pains, especially after menopause. Sexual excitement. Nipples itch, burn. Complaints following parturition and coitus. Leucorrhœa, with much itching.
- Violent attacks of coughing that can be suppressed by effort of will, worse eating, pain in head while cough lasts.
- Spasmodic cough at night after falling asleep, with expectoration of little balls of mucus.
- Labored, oppressed breathing.
- Cough ends in a sneeze.
- Irregular, tumultuous palpitation, after tobacco.
- Pulse intermittent and irregular. Cardiac region oppressed, as if thorax were narrowed. Palpitation with redness of face.
- Pain, with sensitiveness of spine to touch; worse in dorsal region.
- Lumbago; worse in open air.
- Crick in back.
- Twitching of cervical muscles.
- Stiff all over. Pain over hips.
- Rheumatism better motion.
- Weakness in loins. Uncertain gait.
- Trembling. Itching of toes and feet as if frozen.
- Cramp in soles of feet. Pain in shin-bone.
- Neuralgia in locomotor ataxia.
- Paralysis of lower limbs, with spasmodic condition of arms.
- Numbness of legs on crossing them. Paralytic pain in left arm followed by palpitation.
- Tearing painful contractions in the calves.
- Burning, itching, redness, and swelling, as from frostbites.
- Pimples, hard, like flea-bites.
- Miliary eruption, with intolerable itching and burning.
- Angioneurotic œdema; rosacea.
- Swollen veins with cold skin.
- Circumscribed erythematous, papular and pustular and œdematous lesions.
- Paroxysms of yawning. Restless from violent itching and burning.
- On falling asleep, starts, twitches, and awakes often.
- Vivid dreams.
- Drowsy in daytime.
- Yawning, followed by involuntary laughter.
- Very sensitive to cool air. Violent attacks of heat in evening. Copious sweat. Burning spots.
- Worse, open cold air, after eating, after coitus. In cold weather, before a thunder-storm. Worse, pressure on dorsal spine, which causes involuntary laughter.
- Better, moving about slowly.
- Phys; Tub.
- Calcarea carbonica
- Pulsatilla nigricans
- Rhus toxicodendron
- Third to thirtieth and two hundredth potency.
- In skin affections and brain exhaustions give the lower attenuations.